A soothing beverage during the winter season, Kashmiri kahwa is a hot beverage that hails from the beautiful valley of Kashmir. Kahwa (also known as kehwa, qehwa) a type of traditional Green tea prepared in Kashmir , after which it spread towards Central Asia.
Kashmiri Kahwa is traditionally made by mixing boiling green tea leaves with cinnamon barks, cardamom, saffron strand and Kashmiri roses, it is generally blended with sugar else honey as well as crushed almonds, walnuts, pistachios, cashews, dates, dry apricots, dates. Prepared in a traditionally brass kettle known as ‘’Samovar’’.
The ‘Samovar’ has a central chamber where hot coal gets placed while the surrounding space reserved for boiling water and other ingredients of tea, in which the coals are placed keeping the tea extremely hot. Around the fire-container there is a space for water to boil and the tealeaves and other ingredients are mixed with the water.
Kahwa can also be made in normal vessels like tiny, shallow cups. Kashmir Kahwa is usually served after family dinners. Milk added to the kahwah is generally served to the elderly or sick.
Kashmiri Kahwa is that kind of beverage that apart from the delectable taste and aroma, it has an ample amount of health benefits:
1..Improves Skin Health:- Because of the presence of antioxidants, moisturisation of the skin occurs and this prevents acne. The crushed almonds added to the tea cleanses the skin and brings a natural glow. A cup of warm kahwa tea ensures a glowing healthy skin, especially during winters.
2.Resistance Against Cold Temperatures: Because of the addition of saffron in kashmiri kahwa, if consumed on daily winter mornings , then the body acts as resistance to the cold temperatures.
3. Improves Digestion– Kashmiri Kahwa tea helps to cleanse the digestive system and improves metabolism. It is also known to ease digestive problems such as constipation. It works best during winters. Not only this, it also helps cleanse your tummy well. A cupful of kahwa tea first thing in the morning can help kick start your digestion properly.
4. Builds Immunity– Because of the ingredients present in Kashmiri Kahwa , it protects the body’s defense system and keep the body free from infections during winters.
5. Remedy for Cold-An usual home remedy during cold, sore throat and chest congestion, phlegm that develops highly during winters. The warm kashmiri kahwa helps in curing congestion in the chest, further curing cold and cough.
6. Energy Booster-Kahwa tea is a great tea for revitalizing your body whenever it gets stressed out, relieving you from headaches and making you more productive at the workplace.
Now lets look into the ingredients for making Kashmiri Kahwa at home:
- 1 cup water
- 1-2 teaspoon honey
- 2 cardamoms, slightly crushed
- A few strands saffron
- 2 cloves
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri green tea leaves
1. Boil 1 cup of water along with cardamom, cloves and cinnamon.
2.Add Kashmiri green tea leaves and switch off the flame. Let the infusion take place for about 3-4 minutes.
3. Slice 2 almonds and put in a tea cup along with a few strands of saffron.
4. Strain and pour the tea into the cup. Add honey or sugar as per your preference .
At Namhah, we sell Kashmiri Kahwa prepared with exotic spices. The signature blend features Whole leaf green tea which has been combined with rich ingredients including cardamom, almonds, cinnamon, cloves. Its signature flavor is derived from the use of saffron strands, that are included in the blend. A truly celebaratory tea, Kahwa is best served during brunch hours.